Christmas Tree Care
A few simple care tips will give you greater enjoyment of your real Christmas tree and will help to keep it fresh and fragrant throughout the festive season.
- When you get your tree store it in cool conditions away from the wind and sunlight.
- Put the base of the tree in a bucket of water to prevent dehydration.
- When you are ready to put your tree up you should cut 1cm – 2cm (1”) from the base of the tree before putting it in a stand that has watering holding facilities. By doing this you will have broken the natural seal on the base of the trunk and the tree will be able to take up as much water as it requires.
- Before bringing your tree inside hold the tree up-right and bang the bottom of the tree onto the ground. This will remove any old needles which the tree naturally sheds throughout its life.
- The tree will require to be watered every day and may drink anything between 1.125L – 4.5L (2 pints to a gallon) of water a day. DO NOT allow the tree to dry out.
- Once the tree is in its stand and in the correct spot remove the netting.
- Avoid placing the tree near a fire, radiator or warm lighting (any direct heat source) as it will dry out with the potential effect of causing needle drop or drooping branches. In some cases even watering your tree will not stop this happening.